Our hospital is a 225 bed general hospital, offering a full range of secondary care. Our small team sizes provide RMO’s with a great opportunity to do procedures and manage interesting and challenging clinical conditions. Due to population make up and the unselected nature of our admissions we provide RMO’s exposure to cases which are rarer in other areas, e.g. rheumatic fever, tuberculosis and meningococcal disease. Clinical experience is also varied because most consultants are generalists rather than sub-specialists and see a varied patient population.
We provide regular and well attended House Officer education sessions twice weekly, including Radiology. Training in a regional centre provides excellent “hands on”, well supervised training. Whangarei has close links with Auckland Hospital. They provide tertiary care and many sub-specialists do outreach clinics in Whangarei. There are also close links with tertiary centres for educational purposes. There are positions available for basic and advanced trainees with college accredited Registrar training jobs in most specialties.
Friendly Working Conditions
Friendly and supportive work environment. There is strong camaraderie between the RMO’s and a good social life. You work closely with your supervising Consultant and Registrar and are well supported.
On a break? Hang out in our RMO lounge. Comfortable and welcoming and comes complete with 2 PC’s, Internet access, TV, Video, Sky and if you’re in the mood for it, text books for that extra bit of study.
In addition to the above we also have the following:
- Two free large staff car parks adjacent to the hospital, one with secure access;
- Free on-site 20 metre outdoor pool;
- Free on-site staff gymnasium;
- Two on-site cafeterias;
- Social Club, excellent location and the place to be to meet new people
- Staff discounts available at participating businesses.
- The Recruitment Team are experienced in working through the Immigration and Registration processes
- Rental accommodation is cheaper than in larger cities
- You can choose to live in town or closer to the water’s edge within 20-40 minutes of the hospitals
- A large, modern staff library that offers a wide-range of services and resources to staff at all NDHB locations. Online resources include core e-journals, e-books (such as Harrisons Online & the Oxford Textbook of Medicine), MDConsult, UpToDate, Ovid Medline, PsycINFO, CINAHL, Proquest and more! Services/facilities include loan of print books, interlibrary loan, library training, PCs with CD/DVD players, headphones, quiet & group study rooms, and a scanning/photocopy/printing machine. All staff have 24 hour access to the library's wifi and networked PCs.
Voluntary Bonding Scheme
NDHB RMO’s may qualify for the Voluntary Bonding Scheme. Click here to see how this can benefit you.