Important information for those needing hospital services in October
Are you scheduled to have surgery or have an outpatient appointment at Whangarei Hospital between Tuesday 18 October and Thursday 20 October?
Due to a planned 48 hour strike by junior medical staff throughout in New Zealand, your surgery or clinic appointment may need to be postponed. We are contacting anyone affected directly.
Please be assured, if your surgery or appointment does have to be postponed, you will be re-booked.
We apologise in advance for the inconvenience this will cause and reassure you that our number one consideration is for the safety of our patients.
- All our services will be reduced during this strike action,
- Our Emergency Department will still be open for emergencies,
- If you are, or may be, seriously unwell you should still come to ED. For less serious problems please contact your GP or White Cross.
Services which will remain open are:
- Emergency Department,
- Intensive care unit,
- Paediatric acute assessment unit,
- Coronary Care Unit,
- Acute surgery,
- High dependency units,
- Mental Health Inpatient Unit,
- Special Care Baby Unit,
- Renal Dialysis units,
- All our hospital wards.
Services which may be affected are:
- Outpatient Clinics,
- Some Elective surgery,
- Operating theatres,
- Patients requiring tertiary care will continue to be transferred to tertiary hospitals if required.
IN AN EMERGENCY CALL 111